Volbeat - Rewind, Replay, Rebound

I was going to write about something else, but you know who reminds me of the Ramones? Volbeat. They also remind me of Social Distortion and Misfits. I think Volbeat is the closest thing we have to an actual modern day punk band (they're labeled metal about as convincingly as Kenny G is labeled Jazz). They're Danish, and just like Golden Earring (the nearby Dutch), you wouldn't know that from listening to them.

"Die to Live" has totally infested (in a good way) my mental jukebox over the last week or so, so we might as well go listen to all of last year's  Rewind, Replay, Rebound on youtube together.

They definitely have a split personality, and the first track highlights their somewhat strange 80s hard rock meets 90s alternative vibe. It's Volbeat light, less filling, tastes underwhelming. Not bad, just not the part that actually interests me personally.

Pelvis on Fire is more like it, and showcases their real Rockabilly roots, with impressive compound/simple meter shifts and the appropriate amount of cool cat ego.

Then Rewind the Exit. Meh. The back and forth reminds me so much of Rise Against: the real tracks are amazing, the emotional pseudo-ballads are bleh.

Then the whole reason we're here. Die to Live with guest vocalist Neil Fallon (i do love me some Clutch). Just a bangin' track, and you can't tell me it doesn't remind you of the spirit of the Ramones.

I don't mind When We Were Kids as much, 'cause the full unique quality of Michael Poulsen's vocals are on display (unlike tracks 1 and 3). Interesting how it builds from an acoustic track to full contemporary metal with a hard rock chorus. It's certainly the most collage like track so far.

Then the surfabilly weirness of Sorry Sack of Bones. That's brilliant. The song is ridiculous, but in an almost Oingo Boingo way.

Cloud 9 a big meh again. It has that interesting metal plot twist again, though.

We're halfway through, and it's an even-track album for me. We'll see.

Yep, Cheapside Sloggers is more Ramones style catchy as hell old school punk vibes, right down to the constant ride banging. And there's the shift to metal they love so much. Much cooler in this track for sure.

Nope, another odd track downer that just doesn't hit the spot. If the odd tracks were their own album it would be fine.

Parasite is great, like all the best sub 1 minute punk songs.

WAIT. WHAT? An odd numbered track that works (and rocks)? It's track 11 for crying out loud. But, yeah Leviathan is great. Sure it's a little dumb, but the melody is so good you want to sing along at the top of your lungs (that's the part that reeled me in, after all).

Oh my god. Please tell me you hear it too.The drum open of The Awakening of Bonnie Parker immediately reminds me of the Crystals's Then He Kissed Me. There's the Danish accent! I found Waldo!

The Everlasting is the first real metal track. The you tube video is live, but you can hear they are the real deal, early thrash with their completely unique melodic vocals.

7:24 blew it. If they had switched the last two tracks it would have been a complete sweep.

Verdict? Volbeat is two great bands, but i wish they didn't share the stage the whole time. I stand by my opinion that tracks 1,3,5,7,9,14 are one album, and 2,4,6,8,10,11,12,13 are what i actually came here to hear. The bonus tracks on the deluxe edition don't count.

Link to the youtube album below. Please excuse me while i listen to Die to Live 27 more times. Love that song.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nqdNc1xY-pCJT92sxshF2jTY1wmQbT_ds

Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian