Brian Wilson Presents Smile


Then in September, a thing happened that nobody ever thought would actually happen. Brian Wilson finally released Smile. You know, the album that finally snapped him and led to life long psychiatric therapy. 

I'm cringing as i say this, but i don't actually like it. Sorry for accidentally lying at the start. Well, half a lie. I'm thrilled he was finally able to finish it, i'm thrilled Van Dyke Parks rewrote it with him, i'm deeply sad that Brian's life was such a struggle and that his dad was a grade a hole that feces falls out of, but it's not my thing. I'm not saying it's bad or dumb or that we don't need a break from the sheer emotional misery of the last 7 albums, but i know what's coming next and you picked kind of a bad time to pull it together and use that verse as the chorus for that other song and tell me about eating vegetables and the great chicago fire of 1871, Brian. All i hear is the rhythm of the war drum, and those vibrations aren't so good. Maybe some day 30 years from now i'll find a way to properly enjoy it, but not in the context of Trump running for reelection while we listen to albums written about Bush running for reelection. 

Be mad at me if you must, but meh. I'm a lean into the pain and suffering and dare anyone to tough it out with me kind of guy. And boy howdy are we about to lean into it....

Part 9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian