Justice - Cross

Speaking of 2007, let's hear the debut album Cross by French electronic duo Justice. Are they secretly Daftpunk in different costumes? No. Are there about 400 micro-samples of everything from Michael Jackson to Slipknot in this bizarre thing they call an Opera-Disco? You betcha. 

I do actually like Christgau's review of this album because he clarifies it from his own context. As a dance album it's not for everyone, but as a work of electronic pop-art it's way more fun than Kraftwerk. His words, not mine. I'm not convinced Kraftwerk is supposed to be "fun" in any context, but that's still a compliment, backhanded or no. 

In spite of all that, this IS a straight French House album. The experimentation here is completely related to sound sources rather than structural discombobulation. Yet, there is a certain gobbledigook quality to all of it, hence it's inclusion in this weird electronic music segment of my collection perusal. Justice has indeed been served. 

I don't know about you, but i'm enjoying this little sojourn into not a so well known electronica. I don't actually have any Aphex Twin, Autechre, or Amon Tobin albums, even in dubbed form. What i do have is some more relatively obscure stuff, i just have to fire up the other computer they live on. No promises, though. We'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhlCYTEygXgU_M2BBF4c97pKousAF-HP1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

Eyrth - Meridian

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday