In Utero


I've mentioned In Utero a couple times, so you already know A) it's the "adult" part of the Nirvana chronology and B) it's not supposed to be trendy mainstream music. 

It is, by most any standards for music or lyrics, disgusting. I love it.

There are lots of back and forth and contradictory stories about the whole process and their relationship with Albini, who i believe called them "REM with stomp boxes," but i think it boils down to three things: 1) Steve Albini didn't want anything to do with anyone who wasn't an actual member of Nirvana, 2) Nirvana hated Nevermind and being famous, and 3) Albini characterized every band he worked with as "losers at the mercy of their label."

Regardless of what anyone says about it, these are song about what it was like to be Kurt Cobain, and he clearly didn't enjoy being him. The finished product has a lot of tweaking that Albini wasn't happy about, but it sure sounds like he just pointed a bunch of microphones at their gear. 

I personally love the way it sounds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian