What kind of parade?

I read a thing about the guys from Slayer defending The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance. Why wouldn't they? As albums go, it's a great album.

I don't like genre labels. They have a use as entryways for expectation, but the idea that people are beholden to a particular genre (even their favorite) is just stupid.

MCR has 4 albums. I brought you my bullets... is borderline unlistenable for me (i suspect because of my personal kinds of hearing damage), Three Cheers... and Black Parade are amazing albums (which doesn't mean a couple songs on each are not garbage, it just means that their purpose for the album outweighs my negative opinion of them), and i lost interest in the band (because 2 and 3 are more than good enough for me) before their 4th album so i have no comment.

The statement says more about the decayed experience of listening to music than it does the music itself. My whole reason for dedicating my energy to say something about any album is centered on the notion that liking or not liking something is a useless opinion. Why you feel that way is important, and you can't define it until you've really listened to it.

All of my negative reviews have included a reason why i feel that way, and when possible i challenge you to disagree with me, or force myself to change my opinion, or at least admit my bias. Either way, i'm still telling you to find it, buy it, digest it, and make use of any nutrients extracted in the process.

If i do "believe" anything, it's that the way you think about music is the way you think about life itself. I only play a hermit on TV ;)

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 4 Seasons - The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

Pat Benatar - Seven The Hard Way