19 - Earthling

Finally i get Earthling! Seriously, i just couldn't understand Bowie's drum and bass album. It's that standard tandem album broken by the inconvenience of touring we've heard at least 3 times now.

The dark industrial of 1.outside obviously morphs into the hardcore d&b, jungle, borderline Prodigy sounding rave music.

Yeah, 3 for 3. These albums connect like they never did before. Everybody says it really was 70s Bowie in the studio again, just going for it and happy and making it happen again. I can tell, he's filtered all the bad parts out. This is exciting stuff, every bit as exciting as Ziggy or Diamond Dogs were in their own contexts. I'm not ashamed of hating it before, i'm just very happy that it's finally connecting. The thread of avant-jazz sax and piano under all these albums is not unnoticed either.

I know we've been here before, i get excited and then Bowie blows it. Even if that does happen again, it can't be as bad as the first two times. Partly because we're close to the end, but mostly because the whole project was worth it just to connect with these albums in a way i couldn't before. I'm super thrilled.

20 - Hours

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

Eyrth - Meridian

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday