7 - American Idiot

Dirty little secret: Green Day had this little subconscious gremlin in their minds that they should model their career on the Beatles.

Hello, Rob Cavallo, you unofficial 4th member of the band. They asked Rob what they should do after the stuff they demoed for the next album was stolen, and Rob said "was it any good?" Green day said "no."

Let's make a concept album! That's exactly what the Beatles would do at this point in their career. I have to tell you, i like this album a lot. Buuut, Billy Joe decided to go to New York City and hang out with Ryan Adams for a few months. I don't mean to brag, but i was like 8 or 9 years ahead of you guys in figuring out what a little weasel he is.

Rock opera about a teenage anti-hero, blah blah blah. The real point is that Green Day was never a political band, but Warning couldn't help but be about hoping the W didn't become president. 4 years later it's album time and by the way please don't re-elect Wal-Mart for president. I have a lot of those explicit anti Bush albums, mostly because that's what prompted some of my favorite bands to make another album at all. Sadly, i don't like most of them because they are too overt. American Idiot on the other hand is coincidental, and i like that very much.

So let's tie up some loose threads. I don't like what the Beatles did after their big concept albums, and i don't care about Green Day after this one. Here i am just trying to listen to my favorite music because that's what i do, but it all just keeps circling back to four years ago when i said please don't make trump president because even though i can't predict the specific stupid things he's going to do, i know exactly how the structure of the story unfolds, and it's going to make me a grumpy old man. I don't like being a grumpy old man. I'm not good at explaining why it happens like that, and you wouldn't listen to me anyway so we'll just see what happens together, i guess. Either way i'll keep plugging along like i always do because i've been trying to do the best i can to be a good example while everyone else runs around being a jerk. I don't have to change my life because the president is a moron, i only have to remind the people around me that i don't play that game.

What a lovely saturday. A tad windy, though.

Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian