Earl Grant - Ebb Tide, etc.

Today's one of those days that makes me run back and quadruple check my karma score-card. I thought i should have been on the upturn, but clearly not. That's my problem, not yours. So tonight we'll just eschew all the words and listen to multi keyboardist Earl Grant be awesome. We're in for stormy weather tonight, and it just so happens that's the first track on his most famous recording, the Ebb Tide LP.

He was born in Idabel, OK in 1931, and ignoring the risk of uncomfortable innuendo, my dude can manhandle an organ like there's no tomorrow. That's not a joke, the jacket blurb says, and i quote, "[he] coaxes even the most subtle tones and innuendos out of his instruments...." The album itself is like the greatest blues/jazz organ recital with full orchestra accompaniment.

Sadly, my copy has lots of skips. Even more sadly, he died in a car crash on a trip to Mexico at 39. Worst of all, that damned Universal fire again. On the bright side, some other really nice person uploaded their copy to youtube, rice crispies and all like i would have done.

https://youtu.be/klPttp5uu5w

Go give it a listen. It's a gorgeous album that's practically its own lofi production studio. Seriously, this is an incredible album that everyone should get to enjoy. I wish my copy wasn't so beat up, but i don't really mind bumping the needle every once in a while. Cheers.

Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian