Grimes - Geidi Primes

What the hell is Grimes? I don't mean who, i mean what. The best answer i have  is Grimes: because...Japan.

You might know her because you heard me randomly mention her when i was talking about something else a long time ago. Or, you might know her and her "partner" as recipients of the annual Name Your Child Something Even More Ridiculous Than The Prince Symbol Contest (i hear he's famous for something or other, but i live under a rock, or at least surrounded by rocks). Or, sadly, you probably just read that she's Elon Musk's girlfriend and cared no further. I don't care about that, i'm the internet's least interested music nerd.

I know her from her 2012 album Visions which i randomly stumbled across and said "waaaaa?"

I'm currently listening to her first album, Geidi Primes. I guess it's a concept album about Dune, that isn't actually about Dune at all. She didn't expect anyone to ever hear it, and feels moderately embarrased about having to constantly answer questions like "what the hell does any of this actually have to do with Dune?"

Most of her music is just electronic dance music, albeit weird and unique. This album, though, is highly experimental, amateurish, and thoroughly enjoyable. What i don't understand is her symbolic imagery. I get the japanese "super-flat" quality, to borrow an actual phrase from the contemporary art world, but i don't get the juxtaposition of Sailor Moon cosplay and albino boa constrictors. Or body builders and motocross. Or cowboy hats and angel wings.

And a falsetto voice that i can only compare to the singing mice from Babe. And she's got that same out of nowhere singing lisp as Richard Carpenter. It's barely noticable when they talk in real life, what the hell is it supposed to mean when they amp it way up while singing?

I generally don't beg you to suffer like i do, but damnit i need some outside assistance. Go listen to all her albums, so we can at least be completely befuddled together.

Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian