Promises, Promises

Here's an interesting idea. Let's see if we can piece together the plot of a musical from just the songs. The only thing i know about Promises, Promises is that it's Burt Bacharach's first musical. I know a couple of the songs, but i have no idea what the story is. Should be interesting.

Overture time, themes and stuff, excellent. Party on, Wayne. Sounds like Bacharach. Which is to say, Austin Powers levels of campy (Mike Meyers movies are tonight's cinematic sub-theme, apparently. I assume that's just the residual effect of last night's adventures in Canadaland). Onward!

He's not so thrilled with his lack of achievements. But he's gonna be somebody.

3rd floor apartment. What weird timeshare agreement have they got going? Quick inflation math. 637.50 a month for a downtown apartment and your neighbors "borrow" it for an evening. Yeah, pretty dismal digs, my dude.

Girl who doesn't notice him sitting in the friend zone bleachers. Pretty clever song actually, using the build up but lack of resolution to mimic his nervousness.

No clue what the secret is, pretty creepy.

She likes basketball?! I like basketball! Match made in heaven.

She's gonna break up with her crummy boyfriend? Or maybe she's just looking to get out of town?

Who's this random guy wanting things?

Oh, it's Christmas. Ok. Have the two main characters even met yet? Who's that pretty lady walking down the sidewalk? Oh you mean the girl that likes basketball? She likes basketball!?
I like basketball!

It's Christmas, in case you forgot. What fact? Are they drunk in a bar on Christmas?

No clue who she's singing about.

Oh, that's why they all share the same apartment one night a week.

Did you know it's Christmas? I had no idea. That clears up so many questions.

Pickin' up chicks and takin' 'em back to my 3rd floor apartment.

Cheating cheaters cheating on their cheating spouses who cheated. Love stinks, love bites, love is a battlefield, i'm so glad i stopped lying and don't have to lie about lying down with liars and i can save $600 a month by switching to Geico, i mean not renting an apartment so i can have affairs once a week. Merry Christmas, everyone!

How'd i do? I don't actually care enough to look up the plot, but i am curious.

Edit: I finally did look it up and HOLY CRAP HOW DID I NAIL THE INSURANCE COMPANY SETTING!!!???!!!

Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian