Rod McKuen - The Single Man


The humor of this trope hasn't worn out its welcome yet, so what the hell is a Rod McKuen?

I've got a second appropriately socially distanced glass of Malbec perched conspicuously atop my composer's notebook with the associated bandcamp album in the background, the googlemaphone is primed and ready to deliver the ancient wisdom of the skin fleshed tome that is wikipedia (that's a pretty weak Evil Dead/Army Of Darkness reference), and away we go.

The first thing is technically a song, but the second thing is definitely a poem, and unless i'm mistaken that's a terrible Clint Eastwood impression. And wouldn't you know it, wikipedia leads off with the fact that he sold more albums than books of poetry. In all honesty, i can see it. Once you get used to it, his singing is actually quite charming. He's no Sinatra or Torme or Martin or Ho, but he does have a certain charm. He's no Emerson, or Blake either, but that's just the wine talking.

Yeah, he's Kermit the Frog's Clint Eastwood impression, i can't unhear it.

"I'm down to the last of the wine." Now that is the most serendipitous coincidence that i didn't plan in any way. I swear, i didn't know that was going to happen. Not a joke, that really is pure random coincidence.

I'm not doing it justice, this album is actually really cool. No, i'm not a fan of his poetry in particular, but the musical accompaniment is legitimately fascinating. I can see and hear why he was really popular in the late 60s.

I checked, and you can find most of it on youtube. If you're 30 years or more older than me you might not think he's obscure, but for me this is insanely obscure. 3 or 4 more listens and/or glasses of wine and i'd be all in. No, i take that back, the orchestration on this thing is incredible. "Arranged and Conducted By Eddie Karam." If this bizarre album is any indication, he's a pretty close second to Marty Paich in my book. There's choir and strings and horns and harpsichord. Yeah, harpsichord.

You taste like almonds? Did i mention i'm not a fan of Rod McKuen's poetry? I'm not, he's worse than James Seals. Any of you guys know some more albums Eddie Karam worked on? The music is gorgeous!

Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian