Genesis - Invisible Touch



I'm supposed to hate Phil Collins. I'm sure of it. Turning Genesis from loony prog to synthy sellout dad-pop. Drum machines and ending sentences with prepositions. What a loser.

No, screw you guys, with your mohawks and bolo ties, or whatever dumb fashion combination you're into. I love Phil Collins, and if Disturbed can cover Land of Confusion, then i can say this is the best Side A of the entire 80s. It's not, but i can say it Tonight, Tonight. I'm already In Too Deep, so roll that 15th album.

They wrote the whole album and more just jamming in the studio after a 2 year break for solo projects. Everybody wrote lyrics to a song or two. It's all over the place in terms of mood and themes and style, he even sings a quirky new wave song to a pin-up girl. Then Domino shows up. I agree with Mr. And the Mechanics, that's an awesome ADD track even Adderall couldn't wrangle into the shape of political commentary (yeah, it's supposedly about politicians and unintended consequences). 

You know what, it's prog-pop. It is. Pop songs with out of nowhere orchestrated interludes, love songs that turn a corner and get mugged in a dark alley, a protest song, said photograph of a scantily clad woman, bizarre synth parts, an actual drummer unashamedly programming a drum machine, and surprisingly raucous guitars. I mean, i was only six at the time, but this is totally the 80s i remember. The closing instrumental is insane, by the way.

This is a great Genesis album. Go freakin' love it, or i'll invisible punch you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

Eyrth - Meridian

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday