10 - The Vandals - Oi To The World!

Are there any obnoxious and sarcastic punk Christmas albums? 

Yeah, of course. Here's Oi to the World! from The Vandals. It's every bit as terrible as Erlewine thinks it is, if you have Erlewine's taste in music. Why'd he even listen to it? Was he surprised he didn't like it?

I love it. I think it holds up even outside the holiday. Remind me to test out that theory next April. 

Why would The Vandals or their fans care about mainstream rock criticism? More importantly, why would anyone who values Erlewine's opinion go listen to the Vandals Christmas album whether he liked it or not? Did Christgau even bother to listen to it?

I don't need to synopsisize it. It's great. By now you all know that means it's sloppy, unpolished, and not concerned about your tastes and preferences in any way. Plus, there's a song about being nice to grandpa even though he's a miserable grump. That's the kind of mundanity i value deep in the cockles of my heart. 

Thumbs up, quite an enjoyable Christmas concept album for no reason other than it presents some uniquely interesting situations for The Vandals to write silly songs about. 

Do i have to do two more? Can i just republish the Oak Ridge Boys reviews from last year and call it a wrap? I guess we'll find out when it happens. Happy Christmas Eve Eve everybody. Four day weekend, here i come....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oV9-eeoLZzc&feature=youtu.be

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

Eyrth - Meridian

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday