Red Rider - Don't Fight It


[Yawn] 

Welp, 11 hours of sleep seemed to do the trick. What's next for an album? The American version of Red Rider's first album, Don't Fight It? Ok, I won't. 

Did he seriously just pronounce Somalia like it rhymes with Jambalaya? Yes, multiple times. Alright, i know i've experienced Red Rider backward, 3, 2, 1, what the hell am I listening to? 

This is the weirdest conglomoration of New Wave, 80s Apartment Rock, and Alternative Arizona Troubador (think Dead Hot Workshop or Gin Blossoms). I know i said you can taste the neon rainbow, but even that doesn't do it justice. It's like the Miami Vice version of Jewell of the Nile inside Toto's Africa. One minute they're on a yacht, then they're at a corporate $1,000 a plate fundraiser dinner, then their Jeep is stuck in a mud pit for no reason. We could have just skipped the entire Sandra saga, and only listened to the title track. 

Why did they shuffle the playlist and leave out Talking to Myself? Someone must have thought it made more sense this way. I guess the concept is that love is a wild ride in a flying car. "Iron in your soul" appears in multiple songs, but i have a hard time believing that's a familiar idiom, even in Canada. 

I guess, if you forced me to sum it all up, it's Billy Joel's Uptown Girl, but he definitely feels like he can't keep up. He just wants to unwind after a week of being a corporate zombie. I don't dislike it at all, but it's definitely strange and undeniably 80s.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian