Greta van Fleet - Battle at Garden's Gate


Oh. My. Goodness.  The second Greta van Fleet album is so good. They said, ok being the new Led Zeppelin wasn't our goal at all, this time around we'll make an album about our experience touring the world. The rumors are true, there is some serious, hard-core poverty going on out there. 

It would be easy to dismiss it as pandering (the lavish, textured packaging and full booklet are totally extravagant), but i reiterate my statement about the first album. These kids are so absolutely ridiculous that this simply cannot be anything but completely sincere. You couldn't fake this, no one could. 

This is just an exquisite listen. Which makes me sad that The Score wasn't. Much as i'm enjoying this right now, as a physical record this is 10x better quality than the repress of Fugees, and no i'm not at all happy about it. Not because one album is better or more important than the other, but because they are both monumental sophomore albums that i paid 30+ dollars to own. I've praised who knows how many physically terrible albums, but now i have to say don't buy the Target reissue of The Score. Absolutely listen to it in any format possible, but don't reward Target for selling that particular crap repress. Not fair at all, but back to GvF. 

Still unapoligetically 70s hard blues rock sung well above my falsetto range, but much more varied in terms of actual musical material. Man, he just lets it all out on the outro solo of Weight of Dreams. Oh good, skips at the very end. I feel a little better for that. 

You know full well how tough it is for a double album to hold my complete attention, but all 4 sides of The Battle At Garden's Gate are superb. Not a dud in earshot. Will they make a third? I hope so, they're incredible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian