Feargal Sharkey


Have you ever wondered what Michael Stipe's Jello Biafra impression might sound like? Me neither, but that's Feargal Sharkey. He was apparently the lead singer of Irish Punk band The Undertones. I'm reminded of Johnny Rotten's Public Image Limited. This doesn't sound like that at all, but that's the kind of 180 turn the 80s seemed to do to everybody. I'm also reminded of Bob Dylan's Empire Burlesque. 

This isn't in any way bad, but it is definitely weird. Hello Michael Kamen's string arrangements. I have nothing to draw on for comparison. This is just freakin' weird, big sweeping 80s pop ballads, but he's screaming them. Not like Sam Kinison screaming, but like that Patti Smith level of unhinged and slightly crazy. It really is like Johnny Rotten doing power ballads, or Rod Stewart on the down side of a cocaine/helium bender. It's manic when it shouldn't be. It's really growing on me. That's an impressive harmonica solo on Don't Leave It To Nature. 

I can't really do this album justice. It's weird, and definitely unique. Disturbingly charming. You'll just have to hear it for yourself.

The Rascals

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian