Beau Jennings and the Tigers - Heavy Light

Today on What's on Bottle's Porch Today? It's this awesome album cover. I'm excited.


Interesting question, do i know Beau Jennings? We have 4 mutual friends, we both left Oklahoma in 2005 (me to Denton, he to Brooklyn), he moved back to Oklahoma in 2012 while i moved to Iowa. I feel like we crossed paths before all that, but i really don't know. Regardless, Steven Stark reminded me that Beau Jennings and the Tigers have a new album out, so i bought it. It's called Heavy Light. Let's check it out.

The very first thing you'll notice are the Tom Petty goes Indie Rock vibes of the lead-off track, Sunflower. The Comeback gives us a tinge of Springsteen meets the Cars in a track 2 upper for a welcome change. I love that, in case you didn't know, track 2 downers always feel totally wrong.

I'm already hooked, and now there are Killers and Gaslight Anthem flavors. This is seriously good, catchy, ooh a real Bass-riff intro for I'm Reaching, Lord. Yeah, it has a real Mellencamp feel, but my palette isn't quite sensitive enough to tell you with or without the Cougar. I know These Guys, they're like the best parts of Nick Cave meets Bob Dylan. And an actual proper last-track cool-down before the vinyl death zone.

You know who knows how to make a record? Beau Jennings, that's who. Dude, this is one of the most phenomenal Side As i've heard in quite a while, let alone the title track to look forward to open Side B. No momentum left unturned, it wants to be listened to (if you'll forgive my personifying the album itself).

[Flip]

Oh yeah, double guitar solo in parallel 3rds and a cliff hanger before the fade in to Juniper, which i think is done with pedal steel? Those little background jingles and jangles and choir oohs, Juniper might be my favorite track, but the whole album is absolute Indie(tompetty)Rock fire. 

I've never been nostalgic for wanting to go back to Oklahoma, but the things my long ago friends are doing these days are amazing, even if i'm not entirely sure i've actually met them. To be fair, i've met a lot of people, but that's a total cop out. Go check out Heavy Light by Beau Jennings and the Tigers, it's truly fantastic.

Whether we've actually met or not, Beau, just know that this is my 873rd album review and you're the official winner of the Bottle of Beef Best Album I've Heard Since Black Pumas award. There's no prize money, but that was way back on Jan. 25th 2021, and i've listened to at least 200 Top-10 records since then, so it's supposed to be a compliment.

As for the rest of you, you're awesome too. But seriously, go listen to Heavy Light, it's incredible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Live - Secret Samadhi