Black Pumas - Chronicles of a Diamond


I haven't reviewed any albums lately because i'm spending all my time learning to code the new Bunker of Beef website from scratch.  Fun fact, i despise javascript. In spite of that i'm slowly getting there, but i just picked up the new Black Pumas album and that's infinitely more exciting.

Their self-titled debut is a masterpiece of upliftingly psychedelic neo-soul, and i expect no less from Chronicles of a Diamond. 

Ooooh yeah, spectacular. The recipe is foolproof. You take straight up lofi hip-hop beats, bleep bloop on the synths and crank up the dripping wet distorted psych-rock guitar solos, then just stand out of the way while Eric Burton croons through a megaphone connected directly to your central nervous system. It's spine tinglingly delicious.

I don't know what else to say, Black Pumas is 2 for 2 on the astonishingly enjoyable album front. In lesser hands this could easily turn out to be complete cheese, but the chemistry between Quesada's eclectic beatwork/instrumentation and Burton's straight from the 50s sock-hop vocals bouyed by ethereal background chorus is undeniable. So good, you gotta go check it out for yourself 'cause wordy words can't do it half the justice it deserves.

Consider me fully satisfied, and please excuse me while i go spin it a couple more times to really marinate in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Eyrth - Meridian