Dokken - Under Lock And Key


Well then, this was the Mondayest Monday I've had in a looong time. I don't know that Dokken can help much, but they certainly can't hurt. Critics absolutely can't make up their minds about any Dokken album, but I don't think anyone is going to argue that Dokken as a whole doesn't completely rock.

Under Lock And Key is their 3rd album, and although Glam Metal is not the go to genre for real, proper Albums the way I prefer them, this one certainly isn't bad. The first power ballad is track 4, Slipping Away, and that gets backhanded across the face by the proper Heavy Metal side closer Lightning Strikes Again. 

Now, in general I'm not partial to blaming women for failed relationships, but i'm willing to give It's Not Love the benefit of the doubt when it's contrasted by Jaded Heart. Yes, it's clearly established that our protagonist is some kind of love werewolf who just escaped his underground prison, but all he's really saying is "you clearly don't love me, so i'm breaking up with you." Fair enough without any further context.

Then again, the whole album is flip-flopping on and off make up break up silliness. I don't mean any particular song is silly, I just mean that whole back and forth nonsense is completely unproductive for everyone. Then again again, now that I really think about it, these are actually all break up songs from the warewolf's perspective. We know he's a werewolf 'cause The Hunter. 

Hold on, is Twilight just a Dokken fanfic? That's what I'm going with, Stephanie Meyer loved Dokken so much she just used this album as Jacob. Does Dokken have a vampire album? Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they did, George Lynch certainly excels at those spooky haunted castle in the forest type phaser+chorus intros, complimented by bone-crushing riffage and banshee wailing solos.

Like I said, I'm probably in for another Monday of a Tuesday, but Dokken definitely didn't make it any worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog, and my record collection.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Hit & Run Holiday

Live - Secret Samadhi