King Buffalo - Dead Star


We've made it to Dead Star, and i have a theory. Once i say it you might think i've finally lost it and gone completely mad, but i'm ok with that. I'm just describing my experience, and i'm perfectly fine if that experience is bonkers. Ready? I don't think these are albums. I think, similar to Coheed and Cambria, these are individual chapters of a much larger meta album. I think the band is leading us listeners on a guided meditation through an epic stoner doom space opera, dungeon mastering if you will. We are the protagonist, the story is our experience of imagining it. Dead Star is the last album before a Quarantine Trilogy, let's see if my theory holds water. 

You wake up to a red glow all around and wonder what's happening. Sand and stone as before, but now it's all metaphorically afire. You've come to burn down the castle and free the land from the evil opulence that oppreses it. Lots of people have commented on the anti-fascist undertones, and that's not surprising given the 2019/2020 time frame or the quarantine trilogy that follows. 

I don't think i'm crazy at all, these 4 albums are actually one continuous story, intended to be heard in one continuous binge listen. 

So good. 

But sadly my weekend is over. Hopefully it won't take all week to check out the next 3, but who knows?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fuchsia Chicken - A Surfin' Bird

Meat Puppets

doubleVee - Treat Her Strangely